Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

That's a WHAT?!?!?!

I had seen a mortar board (graduation cap) made out of a dollar bill on the internet. I even went as far as finding the creator and emailed them. I was directed to OrigamiUSA Source to buy the book that the directions were published in. (Did you know that they have origami conventions and books FULL of instructions written by these master folders!?) Anyway, I happily paid the money for 2003 Origami Collection and waited. I was so excited to get it because I had planned to give little dollar bill mortarboards to our Class of 2008 friends. I mean really...how cool would that be?!?! to give a bill folded in the shape of a graduation cap!!!! I was greatly disappointed when I couldn't figure out the directions in the book. I do not think it was because they were poorly written. On the contrary, they were very well written - but for someone with experience in paper folding...which I do not have! After many tries, folds and manipulations of the bill, somehow (through a small miracle, actually!) in the end, it turned out to look like what I had initially seen, although not the way in the book.

After researching origami a bit, I think I could become quite addicted to it. It is wild what they can make out of a dollar bill or a piece of paper!! Now that I have the book, I hope to learn how to make some other stuff. It has instructions to over 100 designs made by the best folders in the world. I only ended up giving one graduation cap but he LOVED it!- (by the time I figured out a way to make it work, everyone was graduated! ha ha)Now to figure out how to make the camera! I already know exactly who I am giving it to!

No comments: