Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Past-Due Christmas post

In the beginning, this was going to be an ornament - as in a tree ornament, however in the end it seemed more fitting for a doorknob  or armoire ornament.  

I started off with a 3 inch styrofoam ball. and some coordinating fabrics.  I snipped the edge of the fabric to allow me to tear the fabric into strips. They were about 1" wide and ended up being about 7" long.  I folded the strips in half and put a dab of hot glue on the ball and adhered the loops to the ball.  I did this over and over until the ball was full.  

On great thing about this project is that you can take it anywhere.  I literally took my gallon zip lock with my fabric, scissors, ball, pins and glue with me and when I had a few minutes waiting in the car or something I would work on it.  Another great thing is that it would be great for kids too - especially if you opt not to use hot glue *see below*.





On the others I made, I found that it worked better if I used no-sew fabric glue and quilting pins. By putting a dab of glue on the ball then securing it by taking a quilting pin through the fabric and sticking into the ball. After it dries you can just twist the pin out but I just left mine in - they couldn't be seen. The glue gun, after a while, got too hot and I would have to unplug it to cool it down and start over. A "too hot" glue gun and a styrofoam ball aren't a good mix :) Another thing I found was that I liked using the 2 1/2 " ball a little better....sounds small but it still ended up being a really nice size.

Wish I had thought to take pics of the other balls before I gave them away.  They ended up being hostess gifts for Christmas parties we went to.  These pics are of one I made with more whimsical fabrics. The others had fancier fabrics because some of our friends (and their homes) are pretty fancy ;)




I was thinking this would be so cute in red or pink, white and black for Valentine's Day.  Maybe I'll try to fit that in soon. 

No comments: