Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday Play Day

Ok - I got up intending to test out what I will be doing on the next segment for Everyday with Marcus and Lisa but since I couldn't locate one of the vital ingredients that didn't end up happening.  So, I played with Balsa wood and some stamps instead.

Being very inspired by this amazing artist at this site, I started on some Valentine's Day treats.  My daughter had made a Noah's Ark for a History project a while back with Balsa wood so I had some in my work room. (That's when I am happy that I don't throw my scraps away!!)  I decided to cut some tags and stamped them. They are very simple but I like them.  I also had seen her bowls.  They are absolutely stunning in their simplicity.  I found some little ceramic bowls and stamped one with Staz-On ink. I wanted to try it in red but I let my friend borrow my other inks so I only had black today.  I definitely think that Paloma's Nest are SOooo much better *as in NO comparison!* as the bowl is handmade and they are hand stamped and there is no color - Can you tell that  I just love hers!? But I really like how these came out too and with the right packaging they will be precious to give away.

Oh! I used my Making Memories magnetic stamps since they were a nice size but what I did was I put a glue dot on the back of them to put them on this little acrylic stamping block - otherwise I couldn't fit anything into the bowl.  I had my Staz-On cleaner right beside me for mistakes.  I must confess it did take quite a few (i.e. probabably 11!) tries to get it just like I wanted....not too light, not too dark, all letters appearing :) but the cleaner essentially works as an eraser so it came right off.  I don't know if it would take it off now since they have set a while and I'm not gonna try!  I'll post another picture once I figure out how I am going to present them.





I had bought this wood at Hobby Lobby in the woodworking section.  Balsa wood is very soft. I had 1/16" on hand but want to try it with 1/8".  I just cut it with an Exacto blade and a metal ruler.  The little round Valentine's Day stamps are from Michael's and were only $1!







No comments: