Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Etched Glass


So, today's segment on Everyday with Marcus & Lisa was on etching glass.  I'm telling you it is SO not hard! and looks fabulous!! Definitely something you could do for yourself, your friends, as a hostess gift, teacher gift or even a gift for that hard-to-buy-for executive in your life (i.e. BOSS!)

Supplies needed: Armour Etch (available at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or your local craft store), Exacto knife, contact paper, permanent marker, any pattern you will be using and whatever you want to etch.


For this I was doing a casserole dish.  Peel off the paper back of the contact paper and stick on the outside bottom of the casserole dish.  I am using chipboard letters for this so trace them onto the contact paper with your pencil or permanent marker. (I use an ultra thin marker)

****IMPORTANT! If you are doing the underside of something remember to trace it backwards! Test it by turning the dish over in the direction you would normally use it and see if it "reads" correctly! If so, proceed....if not, stop now and fix!***
When you have drawn your design, then trace over the lines with your Exacto knife and cut out the part your want etched. (Remember that whatever is glass is the part that will be etched!)


Generously paint on the Armour Etch over your cut-out. Making sure to coat evenly.

Once your design has been coated, you will need to wait for the Armour Etch to work.  The jar says 5 minutes, but I leave on mine for 25. (I also don't follow Advil directions very well either!) In this case, I went to shower and get ready for the day....I came back, washed off the Armour Etch with warm water, peeled off the contact paper and this is what I found! YAY!!
Here are some examples of some pieces that I etched to show on the show today.


Here is a gift wrapped up ready to give. Inside is a monogrammed, lidded glass dish, a box of brownie mix tied up with a spatula (with a nice big fingerprint!) at the bow.  Give it a try! Everyone will love it!

4 comments:

EJ & Roo said...

just happened to catch your segment from my hotel room in albany this week.
i missed the beginning of the segment so didn't get to see what you used for the J monogram???

Anonymous said...

Wow that is SUCH a great idea!!!! Sure beats writing your name with a black marker, etc. and the gift with the Monogram...wowwww!!! I am so impressed with your ideas!!!
:) Lesia

Kim said...

I love this stuff!!! Thanks for the tutorial! I will be coming back to check in.

I will be updating the Pirate Party on the family blog today or tomorrow! Thanks for asking!!

Mrs. U said...

Hi there!!
This is ADORABLE!! I definitely need to try this for my family AND for gifts, too!!

Is this dishwasher safe? Have you washed it in the dishwasher to see if it works?

His,
Mrs. U